The Highland Hedgehog

The Highland Hedgehog

Friday, November 12, 2010

Day Twelve

Holy Guacamole!

12 wholes days with no Mexican food.    This has to change.


Visions of tacos, guacamole, chilies, chips, salsa are going through my head.  Robb has to take me to the local Mega Mart also known as Tesco.  We are having Mexican Pork Meat and Chili tonight.

Now those of you who know me well, understand that to me a grocery store is more than just a place to purchase food, it is like a key to my imagination.  I enjoy grocery shopping as much, probably more, than most women do shopping for clothes or shoes.  But alas, above is my purchase, in addition to the pork, for dinner

After hunting around in the dairy section I finally came across this little jar of "Soured Cream".  The selection of creams is unbelievable, you can find single, double and triple cremes, creme fresh, and some I'd never heard of.  But your choices of the humble sour cream is slim.
.

  Wraps are very popular here.  They sell some wonderful selections along side all the pre-made sandwiches that everyone sells.  But they are really just flour tortillas.







But even though my choices were few I did discover something I have never seen in the US.  Taco trays.  Now how many times have you wanted something more than a chip to put some tasty Mexican topping on.  These are perfect and I am keeping them for some special occasion over here.  Not sure just what, but I know they'll come in handy.

The recipe for pork meat and chili isn't especially hard but to make it the way my brother Bob does takes a special talent.  But lacking that, and chili's as I know them, I cut up my little jar of jalapeno peppers into dices, used my pre-cut tomatoes, browned my pork meat in a cast iron double oven as taught and prepared our feast.  I was able to get avocados and made guacamole.  The chips were made by Doritos, and wouldn't you know were imported- yep- they were made in England
I don't have a photo of us eating this feast, but the smell as the pork meat cooked was wonderful and gave us that comforting feeling that all was well with the world.  Dinner?  Not the best pork meat and chili I have ever made, but it hit the spot and there is enough left for lunch.

By the way Chelli, Jake and Mitchell look what I found

Tater Tots

Frozen waffles

Hot dogs in a can
You guys would do just fine over here!
We had to put the trash out today and the note left for us said to leave it uplifted.

Word for the day-
 Uplifted = put the lid up on the trash cans up, that way the trash man doesn't have to open them!

Love to all,
Dawn

2 comments:

  1. Soured Cream!

    Glad you were able to create your supper, love to you both! Danyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny! Glad you were able to make your dinner. Pork meat & Chili sounds good right now. But hey, have you started your diet? I had to buy some new work pants as mine were falling off!!!
    Love you, Doree

    ReplyDelete