The Highland Hedgehog

The Highland Hedgehog

Thursday, December 9, 2010

December 9th

Another blog with a theme of food.  I thought I'd write a blog about pork.  I know that there are those out there who love pork!  One of the biggest issues we have had is bacon.  British bacon is not what we've grown up with.  It is more like a slice of ham that is heated, never crisp and crunchy like what we are used to. 


This week on the TV we've seen ads for pork belly squares.  Now there is a certain person in this household who loves (and I mean loves) pork.  Being the wife of the century, I made certain to check out this advertised appetizer for the love of my life.  And I found it.  Pork belly squares that you bake and then cover with a BBQ sauce (included), and put a toothpick in to serve (included).  It was indeed a big hit and a wonderful appetizer to serve at a party, or in our case, lunch.


I have been looking for bacon as I know it, thin strips of fatty pork, that when fried are crisp and yummy.  I finally found the perfect thing, known over here as smoked thin sliced streaky rashers.  We had them for a lunch/brunch today and found them just like home.  I saved a couple of slices and shared them with our neighbors who had given up finding bacon from the states.  They had BLT's for dinner tonight and now know that they can have a little bit of home right here in the UK. 


Funny how little things can mean so much.
Love to all,
Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment