The Highland Hedgehog

The Highland Hedgehog

Sunday, December 5, 2010

December 5th

A lovely day, we once again drove out and enjoyed being able to do just that.  I didn't realize how much the freedom of movement meant to me until I was unable to do it.  I think if my foot felt better and I had been able to walk around I wouldn't have felt so confined, but as it is I almost felt in imprisoned.

The food issue was another story all together.  For those of you who have ever watched the food networks show called "Chopped" where the chefs are given a basket of odd ingredients that the had to use to make a starter, main course or dessert that was my challenge.  The only unfortunate thing was I didn't have their back up pantries to count on. 

Using mayonnaise, lasagna noodles and odd bits of cheese I made a cheese noodle casserole.  I broke the noodles up into small pieces, grated the cheeses and mixed them all together and baked them in a macaroni and cheese want-a-be sort of thing.  Robb thought it tasted good which is all that mattered and felt full after dinner so that I wasn't "chopped".  Another night without going to the market might not have had the same results.

Today we drove around the different little villages that the rental properties are in to see if we found one more to our liking than the others.  In the village of Anstruther they have a UK famous fish and chips store where we enjoyed lunch.  It was very good and the little waterfront area would be a lot of fun in warm weather.

We also stopped at a farm store just outside of St. Monans, which Robb called my Wholefoods store.  It was a lovely shop with the freshest meats and veggies around.  It was expensive (ie. wholefoods), but the choice was wonderful.  I actually didn't buy much because we aren't here for very much longer this trip, but I did buy a jar of sliced lemons.  I know that sounds silly, but they are beautiful slices and I tried them in a glass of sparkling water and it tasted wonderful.  Who would have ever thought of bottling sliced lemons?

Love to All,
Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment