The Highland Hedgehog

The Highland Hedgehog

Monday, January 17, 2011

New Beginings- January 10-17

Here I am back again, and it has been an eventful three weeks in our lives! 
We left on December 23rd and flew home to a wonderful Christmas.  The first night we stayed in Wilsonville with Caleb.  He had for the first time in his bachelor apartment put up a Christmas tree for us and even brought in real fir boughs to make the apartment smell wonderful (really a sweet thing to do).  On the 24th we went to Lebanon and Chelli had gone to so much work to make it a "Very Scottish " Christmas for us, even providing haggis, which no one but Robb and I ate.  We were surrounded by Scottish decorations on the tree and a beautiful flag swag on the mantle that spelled out Merry Christmas in Gaelic.  Our son-in-law Mike had the warehouse apartment warmed with a wonderful wood fire.  It was truly a wonderful welcome home.
Christmas Eve was spent with family as we noshed on real Scottish cheese, which thankfully had made it through customs and on time, since our luggage hadn't flown with us.  It had been a long two months away from everyone and was wonderful to be back with the grandbabies (sorry Jake and Lilly), all seven of them.  Christmas morning arrived to the usual confusion and fun as presents were opened then everything was cleaned up as we awaited the arrival of the other family members from their homes.  Once again confusion and presents, clean up and then a wonderful roast beef dinner with homemade pies by Jodi (this was indeed a gift as you know how often she cooks) and cookies and candies by Chelli.  We were tired and happy as we went to sleep.
Then.... December 26th arrived.  The mood changed and we were in wedding mode.  We had waited to buy many of the decorations for Alli and Bill's wedding which had a snow flake theme until the after Christmas Sales.  Save money? Yes.  Good Idea?  Added tons of stress to Alli as we went around trying to find enough lights for the trees and centerpieces.  Good Fun?  In the long run, yes it was.
On Monday night, my sister and brother-in-law, Diana and Bob, arrived from California.  We did let them rest for a few hours and then they too were swept into the fray.  Diana made snowflake candies while I finished sewing the bridesmaids dresses.  And together with family and friends we baked the goodies for the wedding.  I found a pair of shoes that were high enough, sturdy enough for me to wear one on my left food while I wore my boot on the other.  I don't think too many people noticed I was a little titled, nor could they really see the boot with my long dress.  All in all the wedding went exactly as planned, took a little bit more time than we had thought but it met all our expectations plus.  I so enjoyed the entire event, but admit I was tired and ready for a rest.
On Jan 3, Diana, Bob, Mom and Dad Aldridge all left for California.  We were concerned for them as I-5 had been closed due to snow near L.A.  Odd to have that much snow close to where they lived rather than there in Oregon.  It's been a topsy turvy year with weather.  Robb left later that day to fly back to Scotland and I flew out the next morning to Georgia where I had a wonderful visit and rest with my Mom and Don.  I left there on the 8th, spent the night at Cabe's, left on the 9th and arrived here on my birthday, the 10th.  Robb picked me up, took me out for a lovely birthday dinner, back home where I slept for a few hours and by 11a.m. the next morning we were packed and off to England for the better part of this first week back.  Like I said, a busy three weeks.
I found a few photo's of the "new" house along with the description of it from the rental site that had been managing it as a holiday rental.  So this will show you a little of our house.  We are very comfortable and WARM!  Robb moved a few things around for me, we set up our offices, hung some towel bars and all is well.
GROUND FLOOR :-
Entrance Porch leading to main hallway with access to patio garden
Kitchen / Dining Room - Modern and well equipped kitchen with table to seat 6, flat screen tv
Double Bedroom with double bed and ample storage
FIRST FLOOR:-
Sitting Room - impressive room with ample comfy seating and lovely sea views
Family Bathroom - Quality fittings with Bath, overhead shower, wh basin and wc
SECOND FLOOR:-
Double Bedroom - Double bed, ample storage, colour tv/vido - Panoramic sea views
Family Bedroom - Double bed with extra single bed, portable tv with video
This is the ground floor bedroom.
The kitchen, which is really very very nice.
The first floor sitting room.  Remind anyone of another sitting room?
The view to the other side of the sitting room.
The patio out the back of the house.  It was, we have been told, used to house coal and the little window is part of what was the old wash room, now storage.
This is the view out side the sitting room window.  Our bedroom, which I don't have a photo of is up stairs above this room and has an even more beautiful view of the Firth of Forth (the bay of the river opening up to the North Sea. 

This last photo is the second bedroom (family bedroom) on the second floor (our 3rd floor) and the master bedroom is on this same floor. 
There are 17 steps up each level, and since the bathroom is on the middle floor, a lot of going up and down is taking place.  I rather think it is my new 'step weight loss program'.

Lots of Love to all,
Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment