The Highland Hedgehog

The Highland Hedgehog

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Nearly July and it's a Jinny Joe Day!

After a long break - I am back.





It’s Jinny Joe's day!!!!!!!!!!! (In my world)

Let me explain to you what a Jinny Joe's day is.  A Jinny Joe is a flower, but in my imagination a Jinny Joe’s more than just a flower, they're fairies.  When I was young  I used to make a wish and blow on the Jinny Joe.  Some of your might call it just an old  'dandelion', but I think I’d  rather call them Jinny Joes.  And if you get the chance to read the book, 'If You Could See Me Now' I think that they will always be that to you afterwards.  You see if you wish on a Jinny Joe, your wishes come true!  Here in Scotland we have had a Jinny Joe day everyday for the past two weeks.   So I am going to share all the  Jinny Joe’s we’ve been able to enjoy and my wish is that it is a Jinny Joe day for each of you!
A field of beautiful yellow dandelions waiting for the Jinny Joes to show up.

And they did, out in the fields, and all a long the road.  And when the wind blew ( which is often here in Scotland) all the wishes where on their way.




Here's a poem about the lowly dandelions.

The Dandelions
Upon a showery night and still,
Without a sound of warning,
A trooper band surprised the hill,
And held it in the morning.

We were not waked by bugle-notes,
No cheer our dreams invaded,
And yet, at dawn, their yellow coats
On the green slopes paraded.

We careless folk the deed forgot;
Till one day, idly walking,
We marked upon the self-same spot
A crowd of veterans talking.

They shook their trembling heads and gray
With pride and noiseless laughter;
When, well-a-day! they blew away,
And ne'er were heard of after!

Helen Gray Cone [1859-1934]


So Make a Wish!
Love to all,
Dawn


No comments:

Post a Comment