The Highland Hedgehog

The Highland Hedgehog

Monday, March 7, 2011

March 7th

Cambridge by foot- 

After the bus and boat trip we wandered around town on foot.  There are many beautiful buildings to see and a wonderful open market that appears to be a daily market with Sunday being the biggest day of all with even more booths and fresh breads, seafood and meats.  Unfortunately, staying in a hotel and travelling by train we weren't able to take advantage of all the beautiful fresh foods and flowers offered.

We then walked around to the Fitzwilliam Museum where we took a hour long tour.


The Fitzwilliam Museum is the art museum of the University of Cambridge. Founded in 1816 by the bequest of the VIIth Viscount Fitzwilliam of Merrion, it has been described as "one of the greatest art collections of the nation and a monument of the first importance". The collection includes works of art and antiquities of national and international importance, among them antiquities from Ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome; applied arts including English and European pottery and glass, furniture, clocks, fans, armour, Chinese, Japanese and Korean art, rugs and samplers; coins and medals; illuminated manuscripts, rare printed books; paintings including masterpieces by Domenico Veneziano, Titian, Veronese, Rubens, Van Dyck, Canaletto, Hogarth, Gainsborough, Constable, Monet, Degas, Renoir, Cezanne and Picasso and a fine collection of 20th century art; miniatures, drawings, watercolours and prints.  As you can imagine, a hour only highlighted a few of the different areas, and after the tour we spent quite a bit more time wandering around enjoying all the beautiful displays.

I was particularly drawn to the dishes and silver that were on display.  It always surprises me that no matter how many beautiful pieces I own, I could and would still add to my own "collection".  My long suffering and wonderful husband made the comment that it is a good thing that I am not rich, or our house would be overflowing with china.

While Robb was having his meeting I wandered the downtown shopping area by myself.  I found to my delight a big beautiful kitchen shop.  After looking at three floors of wonderful products my eyes lit on a small display of what is call a garlic card.  These cards are
credit card size and have a grater on the colored part
of the card.  Now I thought that this is one of the most
unusual "Kitchen gadgets" I had seen and decided to
buy a couple.  When shown my purchases later in the
day my guy, much to my amazement asked me how
you would keep the smell from getting all over the
stuff you have in your wallet?  Yes he actually thought
that one would take this with them.  After I quit laughing
I explained that it was a kitchen tool and that you washed
it and put it in the drawer.
Has anyone ever seen someone grate garlic over their
food in a restaurant?  Could be the new rage with one of these!

Well that's enough of walking for now!
Love to all,
Dawn

1 comment: